SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:07:11 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> wget works perfectly, not yum update... (same pb).
>>

>> Hello Troy and people on the list,
>>
>> Thanks for having a look at this. I am sorry that, being off, I could
>> not resume testing more in order to find what's wrong. I tried again
>> this morning and the problem is still here.
>>

> Yes, it is most likely a proxy server between you and the ftp client, or
>  a firewall that does anti-virus checking.  I thought I sent an e-mail
> on this, but perhaps I didn't.
>
> There are ways to get around this, but we need to know if you have
> either of these on either your machine, or somewhere between you and the
> ftp server.
>
>> I do not know what yum does actually. If it is a script, I will look
>> at it.
>>
> It is written in python, so yes, you can look at the code.
> I believe the best place to look would be in
>
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/urlgrabber/byterange.py

*Troy chuckles a little bit as he looks at the file*
Well ... it seems that there is already a fix in place for "REST not
supported" error ... BUT ... it is expecting a return code of 501 and
not 502 which you are getting.

For now, see if switching the line

             except ftplib.error_perm, reason:
                 if str(reason)[:3] == '501':

             except ftplib.error_perm, reason:
                 if str(reason)[:3] == '502':

and see what you get.

Sorry for chuckling, it just reminds me of some old tv series.  "missed
it by *that* much"

> This isn't actually in yum, but in the package urlgrabber, which was
> pulled out of yum because other programs wanted to use it.  But you have
> to have it installed in order for yum to work.
>
>> Do you know if there is some kind of timeout or sleeping in yum that
>> would result in sending the REST command to the ftp server ?
>>

> Yes.
> To get the headers, yum is requesting only so many bytes being sent.
>
> If you could let me know if you have either a proxy, or a anti-virus
> checker between you and the ftp server that will help.
>
> Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468