SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:24:02 -0600
Maxim Kovgan wrote:
> Dr Eva Myers wrote:
>
>> GNOME has suddenly stopped working on one of my machines running
>> Scientific
>> Linux 3.0.5.  When I reboot the machine, everything is OK until it
>> tries to
>> run gdm, and then the screen flashes for a while before finally
>> displaying
>> an error message "Failed to start the display server several times in a
>> short time period".  If I edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop so that the machine
>> runs kdm or xdm instead, then the login banner is displayed, but users
>> who
>> run GNOME cannot log in (users who do not run GNOME can, so it isn't an X
>> problem).
>

> the best way to search for problem in linux is log files:
> /var/log/messages, or /var/log/X*.0.log
>

> also, gnome other subsystems, so maybe when you've installed your
> package, it somehow removed a service gnome requires from the proper
> /etc/rc?.d/
>
> good luck.
> Max.
>

>> I am not aware of having changed anything relevant recently.  I have the
>> nightly yum update enabled, and recently I tried unsuccessfully to
>> install
>> the MASS 7 library for Splus (http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS4/ -
>> I'd be
>> surprised if this was relevant, but I mention it anyway just in
>> case).  In
>> the course of trying to get MASS 7 working, I ran synaptic and installed
>> java-1.4.2-sun-compat, but these were the only recent changes.
>>
>> Dr Eva Myers
>> Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory.

The only times I've seen Gnome not work, and KDE will work, is when
something is messed up with the network.  Usually it is something like
what the machine name is set to, and what the IP address is set to, are
two different things.
I could be totally wrong on that though, and it's quite possible I am,
because usually it brings up an error stating what is wrong.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468