SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:02:44 -0600
Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:

>> Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm checking the yum list.  I don't recognize the 'Command REST not
>>> allowed by policy'
>>> Can you get the rpm directly?  Can you do a
>>>
>>> wget
>>> ftp://mirror.in2p3.fr/pub/linux/scientific/42/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/httpd-suexec-2.0.52-22.ent.i386.rpm
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> wget works perfectly, not yum update... (same pb).
>

> Hello Troy and people on the list,
>
> Thanks for having a look at this. I am sorry that, being off, I could
> not resume testing more in order to find what's wrong. I tried again
> this morning and the problem is still here.

Yes, it is most likely a proxy server between you and the ftp client, or
  a firewall that does anti-virus checking.  I thought I sent an e-mail
on this, but perhaps I didn't.

There are ways to get around this, but we need to know if you have
either of these on either your machine, or somewhere between you and the
ftp server.

> I do not know what yum does actually. If it is a script, I will look
> at it.

It is written in python, so yes, you can look at the code.
I believe the best place to look would be in

/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/urlgrabber/byterange.py

This isn't actually in yum, but in the package urlgrabber, which was
pulled out of yum because other programs wanted to use it.  But you have
to have it installed in order for yum to work.

> Do you know if there is some kind of timeout or sleeping in yum that
> would result in sending the REST command to the ftp server ?

Yes.
To get the headers, yum is requesting only so many bytes being sent.

If you could let me know if you have either a proxy, or a anti-virus
checker between you and the ftp server that will help.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468