SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Harish Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harish Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:01:04 -0500
Kevin Byun wrote:
> I am having a trouble with the screen resolution with my laptop on
> Linux.  The setting on my laptop is currently 800 X 600 from the
> installation of linux.  However, I need to have the resolution setting
> to be 1280 X 768.  The setting on "Resolution" application doesn't
> show the selection of 1280 X 768.
> I don't have the file Xorg in /etc/X11 directory and I am lost.  Could
> you experts show me the ways to fixing this problem?
If you're tentative about tweaking configuration files, try running the
display configuration application (as root) again. One of the tabs on
the top (I am just guessing, I haven't seen it in a while) is hardware
settings. Just choose your monitor type as 'Generic LCD 1280x768',
restart X and you should have that option the next time you run the
resolution chooser.

Harish