SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scientific Linux Users List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:56:31 +0100
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 02:47:43PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Troy Dawson wrote:
> >Art Wildman wrote:
> >
> >>Freshrpms package compilation
> >>http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2006-January/013758.html
> >>

> >>A very cool Xmas gift from Mathias, while it may not be suitable for
> >>production SL users, home & laptop users could certainly benefit from
> >>the extra multimedia packages on the cd. When building systems having
> >>some extra packages available on CD before putting it on the net
> >>always appeals to me for security concerns. I haven't tried it yet...
> >>Thoughts?
> >

> >Hi Art,
> >The problem is that not all fedora stuff works on S.L.  (or RHEL for
> >that matter), and I believe Mathias doesn't do RHEL compatible.
> >But if someone put together a atrpms, dag, or dries CD like that, that
> >would be interesting.
> >Troy
>
> hi Troy,
>
> I feel these repo's are way too fast moving to really be able to
> snapshot in a manner that would allow for such DVD's [1] to be created.

If this is coordinated with the repos it's possible, I guess. There
already was a FC1 & updates & ATrpms DVD by Stefan Smietanowski in the
past, but the echo wasn't as high as expected.

> - KB
>
> [1] these repo's are going to be way too large to get onto a CD, might
> need to target DVD size media.

Or you can create add-on CDs with topics, e.g. cluster-CD, syadmin-CD,
multimedia-CD and similar.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net