SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:09:48 -0600
Paul A. Rombouts wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> OK, I've added a README.txt describing the packages to the download
> directory. I've also added a README.sl to the fuse rpm with some
> technical notes about the kernel-module package.
>
> I've signed all the packages and put a copy of my public GPG key in the
> directory.
>
> I have some additional questions:
>
> The kernel-module package needs to be rebuilt every time the kernel is
> updated. Is this the responsibility of the contributor, or do you guys
> have some kind of system for automatically rebuilding these kinds of
> packages?
>
> I have noticed that the new yum versions have a facility for recognizing
> how kernel-module packages relate to the kernel packages. What do you
> have to add to the spec file to ensure that yum properly recognizes this
> relationship?
>
> I have had a look at some of packages on offer in the contrib directory
> (ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/i386/contrib/) but
> when I compared the RPMS directory with the SRPMS directory is appears
> the latter directory is incomplete. I also found it a bit strange that
> the SRPMS directory has another SRPMS subdirectory.

*Troy looks at the contrib area, both SRPMS and the RPMS area.*
Ugg ... I not only didn't get the source rpm's there, I didn't get the
README's in their directories.
The extra SRPMS directory was a leftover of my contrib publishing script
when it was getting tested.  Looks like I didn't clean it up.
Let me get things cleaned up a bit, and the readme's out, then you can
look at the source rpms.
Currently, things that involve kernel modules need to follow the format
   kernel-module-<name>-<kernel-version>
as their name, such as
   kernel-module-qcusb-2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468