SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:59:29 +1000
Hi Ioannis,

> > You're welcome. dovecot only takes a matter of minutes to setup too (pretty
> > much on the "protocols" line needs setup for pop3 and pop3s if you're using
> > PAM authentication, if LDAP just another line or two) and then just use
> > chkconfig to start it up on boot and start the init script.
> >
> > You might like to know I've been using dovecot for well over 4 years in
> > production supplying many users with pop3 and pop3s. In all that time, it
> > stopped running (from memory) only 2 or 3 times and I had to get in there and
> > restart the service. I haven't done that now for over a year, which isn't bad
> > considering how much use it gets.
>
> Unfortunately dovecot does not seem to work for user root (pop3),
>  while it works for a user account. Any ideas on how to make it work
> for root?

I've never tried to pop root's email and a quick google search on the topic
didn't really specify how to do it. In the dovecot.conf file though there's
this bit:

# Note that denying root logins is hardcoded to dovecot binary and can't
# be done even if first_valid_uid is set to 0.
#first_valid_uid = 500
#last_valid_uid = 0

which seems to indicate it can't be done even if you tried. I understand
though that dovecot is supposed to be a very secure imap/pop server, which is
the reason I guess the author denies this.

But maybe further google searches or maybe an email in the dovecot list (or to
the developer) may be the next best approach. Either that or install a webmail
client on the server and allow it to read roots mailbox.

Michael.