SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:23:51 +0100
Hi,

sshfs is a tool for mounting a remote filesystem transparently and
securely over a ssh connection. sshfs is based on FUSE, the Filesystem
in USErspace framework.

I have tried the fuse-sshfs RPM from Fedora-Extras on a machine running
Fedora Core 4 and was pleasantly surprised with the performance and ease
of use. You can mount as an ordinary user any filesystem on other
machine accessible via ssh and work with the files as if they were on
your local machine. Read and write performance with sshfs is much faster
than the alternatives that I have tried so far.

I have recently adapted the RPMs that I had downloaded from
Fedora-Extras and rebuilt them on a Scientific Linux 4.2 installation.
The most important change that I had to make was adding a fuse
kernel-module package, because unlike the kernel that ships with Fedora
Core 4, the SL 4.x kernel does not have built-in fuse support.

In addition, I have upgraded the version of the sshfs package from 1.2
to 1.3.

I have made the packages that I have built available for download from
this directory:

	http://www.phys.uu.nl/~rombouts/fuse/

My thoughts are that if other Scientific Linux users find these packages
useful, they might make a useful addition to the SL-contrib repository.
I am not familiar with the procedure for donating packages, so any
feedback on this would be appreciated.

--
Paul A. Rombouts