SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:08:20 +0200
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Does anyone know what does it mean? Has HD bad tracks?
 >
> WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
>    hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStat...:  7 Time(s)
>    hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }...:  7
> Time(s)

OS: SL 4.3

I have been receiving such email error messages only occasionally, since I first installed
SL 4. But the system has been stable so far.

SL has partitioned this HD into two partitions, and is using LVM2.

Now I wonder for another thing. I booted into GNOPPIX, and ran "e2fsck -c -c -C -f
/dev/hdc2" and it reports that the system is not a valid ext2 file system.

"e2fsck -c -c -C -f /dev/hdc1"

reports that there is nothing valid in there or something.

When I upgraded to SL 4.3, in "System Settings::Logical Volume Management", I first
noticed that /boot appears as "Uninitialized" and thought it to be a bug of the
application. Because "ls /boot" shows files and on the right of "Logical Volume
Management" it reports ext3 file system.

So the following questions arise:

1) Why /boot appears as empty, and ls shows file in it? Is it a bug of "Logical Volume
Management?"  (Check the screenshot attached).

2) How can I surface-scan LVM2 ext3 partitions?