SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:43:07 -0500
Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>  I wish to be receiving my local mail (which consists of system log
>  messages), via a local POP3 server. However I found no POP3 daemon in
>  standard distribution with yumex. Isn't there any POP3 daemon in
>  standard SL 4.2?

Since SL is based on RHEL I'm surprised there aren't more references to
the fine online manuals there. I presume that most of the documentation
is identical or posted in the SL Docs
<https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/> release notes or
eratta? The RHEL Docs <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/>
have lots of relevent information that should be read carefully, if you
want to save time or avoid some nasty headaches & gotchas...
RHEL-4 Ref-guide: Email
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html
11.1.2. Mail Access Protocols - There are two primary protocols used by
email client applications to retrieve email from mail servers: the /Post
Office Protocol/ (/POP/) and the /Internet Message Access Protocol/
(/IMAP/).Unlike SMTP, both of these protocols require connecting clients
to authenticate using a username and password. By default, passwords for
both protocols are passed over the network unencrypted.
11.1.2.1. POP - The default POP server under Red Hat Enterprise Linux is
/usr/sbin/ipop3d and is provided by the imap package. When using a POP
server, email messages are downloaded by email client applications. By
default, most POP email clients are automatically configured to delete
the message on the email server after it has been successfully
transferred, however this setting usually can be changed...

For MTA, I've always used Postfix -
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/RH-postfix-HOWTO/book1.html

The RHEL Docs describe the easiest way to switch from the default
sendmail to postfix here...
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-email-mta.html
*Note:* Before using Postfix, the default MTA must be switched from
Sendmail to Postfix. Refer to the chapter called /Mail Transport Agent
(MTA) Configuration/ in the /Red Hat Enterprise Linux System
Administration Guide/ for further details.

RHEL-4 SysAdminGuide - SAG - Chapter 39. Mail Transport Agent (MTA)
Configuration
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-switchmail.html

--
Art Wildman - [log in to unmask] - [log in to unmask]
National Weather Service Office  - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax