SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:23:38 +1000
Hi Ioannis,

> Michael Mansour wrote:
> > BTW Ioannis, when you're looking for "something" using yum, you can use:
> >
> > # yum whatprovides blah
> >
> > where blah is usually the name of a file (yum whatprovides pop3 in your case).
> >
> > The output would be extensive (pages of stuff), but there's very little chance
> > you'll not see what you're looking in the multitude of packages that'll be
> > displayed with a keyword of "pop3" for example.
> >
> > You can then use:
> >
> > # yum info <packagename>
> >
> > or in your case:
> >
> > # yum info dovecot
> >
> > to see what the package is before actually installing it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Michael.
>
> Thank you for this information. There is also yum search. yumex also
> displayed dovecot and cyrus-imapd. Actually I was looking for a
> stand-alone, only-pop3 server (remembering pop3d from my suse linux
> 6.x days). dovecot is the closest to it, and I am giving it a try. :-)
------- End of Original Message -------

You're welcome. dovecot only takes a matter of minutes to setup too (pretty
much on the "protocols" line needs setup for pop3 and pop3s if you're using
PAM authentication, if LDAP just another line or two) and then just use
chkconfig to start it up on boot and start the init script.

You might like to know I've been using dovecot for well over 4 years in
production supplying many users with pop3 and pop3s. In all that time, it
stopped running (from memory) only 2 or 3 times and I had to get in there and
restart the service. I haven't done that now for over a year, which isn't bad
considering how much use it gets.

Michael.