SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:30:21 +0100
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:11:15AM -0600, Robert Boehm wrote:
> Richard S Holmes wrote:
> >For what it's worth, yesterday I upgraded my main machine to SL4.2 (from
> >3.0.4).  I enabled dag and dries, and yum update produced an conflict
> >and refused to update anything.  (Sorry, I neglected to note the error.
> >Something to do with Java, I believe.)
> >
> >I disabled dag and dries, and the next update worked fine.
> >
> Having experimented yesterday and watching this entire conversation...
> I am figuring out that simplicity is the best policy.  I tried to enable
> "everything" just to see what happens...and a lot of stuff was pretty well
> confused...and yumex wouldn't even open again!!!

Please be aware that yum too often introduces bugs that are not in the
repos, but are artifact of the yum design. for exmple I recently
enountered a bug like foo-1.2.3-4 conlficts against install of
foo-1.2.3-4, e.g. yum decided to reinstall the same package even
though it was already installed.

This has to do with yum's design, which drops packages from the
different ensembles (installed, repo A, repo B, etc.) in the first
pass upon sometimes buggy criteria (which is also the reason why yum
cannot do priorities or downgrades). Last year I was hunting yum bugs
just to show that ATrpms wasn't breaking anything:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01826.html

Bottom line: If you does fail on you, then please try smart or apt
before assuming that the repos messed up :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net