SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:48:35 +0200
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Does anyone know what does it mean? Has HD bad tracks?

Here is an interesting page on how to do HD surface scans on GNU/Linux:

http://yhslug.tux.org/docs/hdtest.htm

I am currently downloading its recommended rescue-cd to use for performing the check on my
system's *unmounted* partitions.

(syntax: e2fsck -c -c -C /dev/hda1 on unmounted partitions)

I would like a SL rescue CD though. :-)

Some other rescue CDs that may be of use:

http://www.sysresccd.org

http://www.lnx-bbc.org

http://cdlinux.berlios.de

I will perform the surface scans and let you know of the results (if it worked indeed).