SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:44:06 -0500
Luke Scharf wrote:

>  I've run into this problem before: how do I empty the DNS cache in
>  Linux?

I remember doing this with 'ndc', reading about it for 'rndc'... though
it appears this function isn't well documented, or supported in older
versions of BIND.

root# man rndc  -points to "The BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual"
Chapter 3. Name Server Configuration - Tools for Use With the Name
Server Daemon - rndc
http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm93/Bv9ARM.ch03.html#id2547661

root# rndc dumpdb -cache localhost
# appears to work on FC4
root# rpm -qa | grep -i bind
bind-9.3.1-14_FC4

There have been so many changes to BIND, it really requires an up2date
book & lots of 'dig'in...
Flushing (Clearing) a Name Server's Cache
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/excerpt/dnsbindcook_ch05/?page=2#flushing
root# rndc flush internal
rndc: 'flush' failed:  failure
# apparently I'm not configured for multiple 'views'

root# rndc flushname localhost.localdomain
# seems to work & is a better option than restarting the dns server

RHEL4 RefGuide: Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) - Using rndc (good
start, but little help)
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-bind-rndc.html

Quick HOWTO: Configuring DNS - Migrating Your Web Site In-House (very good)
http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/dns-static.htm#_Toc92808691

 From my collection of bookmarks on configuing BIND, there are some
rather nice DNS howto's here & most distros ship with a caching
nameserver preconfigured...

The Name Service HOWTO
http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/admin/nameservice.html

DNS Oversimplified: How to check your DNS
http://www.rscott.org/dns/

Configuring Bind - Linux StepByStep
http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/dns.html

DNS and DHCP at Arda.Homeunix.Net
http://www.arda.homeunix.net/dnssetup.html

O'Reilly DNS and BIND, Fourth Edition
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/

DNS HOWTO - rather dated
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

DNSRD - DNS Resources Directory
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/

DNSSEC: DNS Security Extensions
http://www.dnssec.net/

DNS Server Hardening
http://www.linux-sec.net/DNS/

That is likely more than you ever wanted to know, but hopefully provides
some useful references to others maintaining DNS. -HTH Art@JAX