SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:12:51 +0200
Robert Boehm wrote:
> Having experimented yesterday and watching this entire conversation...
> I am figuring out that simplicity is the best policy.  I tried to enable
> "everything" just to see what happens...and a lot of stuff was pretty well
> confused...and yumex wouldn't even open again!!!
>
> I did a fresh install and decided that I will use just the dag
> repository for
> "stuff" since there is so much duplication...and one repository seems
> like it would make sure that it is consistant with itself.  So that's the
> way I'm going to do it from here on out.  Only thing is that DAG doesn't
> provide the win32 codecs...so I got it from the mPlayer site and installed
> the codecs manually...and the nice thing about that instead of the
> rpm is that I installed it in ALL THREE locations that ANY application
> would look for them...so I'm covered (and works like a charm too)
> /usr/lib/win32
> /usr/local/lib/win32
> /usr/local/lib/codec
>
> I also learned the same lessons with SUSE...to keep it simple....use ONE
> MAIN
> repository for the "extras" and if it's not there, either build it
> yourself or pick and chose
> a couple of rpm's from somewhere else...the full sweep method seems to
> always
> be trouble...

Myself am enabling all 3 external repositories (atrpms, dag and dries) when I am looking
for something that doesn't exist in the main SL ones (like xine, audacity, bittorrent for
example).

When performing system updates and upgrades or looking for something that exists in the
main SL distribution, I keep the 3 external repositories disabled and using the main SL ones.