SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:11:15 -0600
Richard S Holmes wrote:
> For what it's worth, yesterday I upgraded my main machine to SL4.2 (from
> 3.0.4).  I enabled dag and dries, and yum update produced an conflict
> and refused to update anything.  (Sorry, I neglected to note the error.
> Something to do with Java, I believe.)
>
> I disabled dag and dries, and the next update worked fine.

Having experimented yesterday and watching this entire conversation...
I am figuring out that simplicity is the best policy.  I tried to enable
"everything" just to see what happens...and a lot of stuff was pretty well
confused...and yumex wouldn't even open again!!!

I did a fresh install and decided that I will use just the dag
repository for
"stuff" since there is so much duplication...and one repository seems
like it would make sure that it is consistant with itself.  So that's the
way I'm going to do it from here on out.  Only thing is that DAG doesn't
provide the win32 codecs...so I got it from the mPlayer site and installed
the codecs manually...and the nice thing about that instead of the
rpm is that I installed it in ALL THREE locations that ANY application
would look for them...so I'm covered (and works like a charm too)
/usr/lib/win32
/usr/local/lib/win32
/usr/local/lib/codec

I also learned the same lessons with SUSE...to keep it simple....use ONE
MAIN
repository for the "extras" and if it's not there, either build it
yourself or pick and chose
a couple of rpm's from somewhere else...the full sweep method seems to
always
be trouble...

Bob

--

Sent on Scientific Linux 4.2 running on
testcomputer.home 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL GNU/Linux

VIRUS SIGNATURE FILES
SIGN.DEF created 4 January 2006
SIGN2.DEF created 4 January 2006
MACRO.DEF created 2 January 2006