SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:46:13 +0100
Hi

>>At CERN we have about 1500 systems managed by individual
>>owners/users .. so we really need a solution which will
>>not require all of them writing / editing scripts ..
>

> Are these systems all pretty much identical to the packages that need to be
> checked on them? or do the owners/users have root privilege to install/modify
> whatever they want on the systems?

Not really : users have freedom to choose packages they install (and
have full priviledges on their systems) - the requirement is that these
have to be kept updated.

> I use another product (csync2) to help me manage large nodes of clusters,
> where I group "like" systems.

For management of computer center clusters we are using
quattor (http://quattor.web.cern.ch/quattor/)
(used on about 3000 systems at CERN now)

> As an admin, I like the control this gives me, as I can manage everything from
> a central server.

Me too ;-) But in our environment this is not applicable
to large portion of our users...

> The thing I don't like about automatic things is that implementations on
> servers become too messy over time. It becomes very hard to keep track of what
> packages are installed and especially keeping track of the dependencies those
> packages installed.

For that we have quattor which keeps such information in centralised
database. For users desktops we just make sure they update regularily
from our servers - that we keep track of it.
(plus that they have an easy to use mechanism to install additional
software: on our internal network we provide so far dag and jpackage
repositories mirrors .. thinking about adding few more)

Jarek
__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _
_ http://home.cern.ch/~jpolok ___ tel_+41_22_767_1834 _