SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:52:38 -0600
> As far as I know, they are independent efforts and not meant to
> complement one another.
>
> Those rpms are compatible with SL.
>
> Sometimes they provide the same versions of packages, sometimes
> different versions, and it is up to you to pick the right one (yum &
> yumex always display the latest versions when you have enabled multiple
> repositories).

Well...this is fun....In my test machine, I just enabled ALL of the
repositories,
to see what happens...I'll chose what I want, let yum do the rest and see if
conflicts develop...it would be really nice, and they have the EXACT same
issue on the SUSE side....to have a build server...and a SINGLE
repository for EVERYTHING....I know...ideal, but it's a goal...as for
newbie's this is a very confusing issue...

Some day...

> It is OK to turn on them all, but *not* for performing system updates
> (like yum update).

We'll see what happens!
I notice that if I set yum extender (GUI) to enable repositories, and
save the profile...
that is one thing...but when I go to /etc/yum.repos.d and check the
actual files...
they aren't enabled...so they must use a separate settings for the
extender...
For FUN (remember...test machine)...I also enabled all of the repos
(except for flash)
and I'll see what the system does down the road....if it get's all
goofed up, I'll know
that it was a *bad* thing to do...but....remember....it's a test machine!

This has been a great discussion, foks!  Thanks...

--

Give thought to your reputation.  Consider changing name and moving to
a new town.