SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:47:22 +0100
Hi

> Just to add my 2 cents here. I don't need repo preference. I resolved this
> issue by disabling all but base repo's, then scripting the packages I want to
> be notified on (and upgrade to) per repo, then croning updates based on the
> "--enablerepo=" option in yum.

Yes , that is an option: but you mostly use it on the
systems you manage yourself, right ?

At CERN we have about 1500 systems managed by individual
owners/users .. so we really need a solution which will
not require all of them writing / editing scripts ..

So far we were working with apt using repository
preference and ability to 'pin' (=lock) package versions.
(plus ability of LUA scripting for kernel modules upgrades)

For me, it looks like combination of yum protectbase,
versionlock and kernel-module plugins
(plus few more yum-utils like build-dep and sourcedownload)
would allow us to achieve similar result with yum.

[FYI: As apt for rpm is not being developped
anymore for future versions of Scientific Linux CERN
we are looking at replacing our default update mechanism
by a yum based one.]

Regards

Jarek

PS: Maybe you could contribute your scripts to SL ?
__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _
_ http://home.cern.ch/~jpolok ___ tel_+41_22_767_1834 _