SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:20:53 -0600
HI Folks...

I am slightly confused on the yum repositories that come "in the can" with
SL...specifically the "dag" vs. the "dries" repo's, which seem to have a LOT
of duplication....and in trying to figure out WHICH to use...or BOTH...I am
having difficulty.  They seem to duplicate a lot of packages..but of course,
there are some differences as well....so...what is the BIG DIFFERENCE
between these to very full repositories?

Also, if the COMPLIMENT each other, I'm assuming that there is no trouble
activating BOTH of them?  I am also assuming that all of the rpms are
compatible
with each other...

Second...the "contrib" and "bugfix" repose (shut off by default)...I see
that the "contrib"
repo adds a few things that don't come "in the can"...like kernel
modules and such...
fine.  The bugfix, which seems to be empty for the most part I'm
assuming would be
different from the errata..which is more interested in security fixes,
right?

In a funky sort of way, I'm asking if it's advisable to turn on ALL of
those repositories,
and if there would be any conflice between them, or if it's better to
CHOSE WHICH
ONE of the "extra stuff" repositories to use and stick with that?

Thanks a lot!
--

Tonight's the night: Sleep in a eucalyptus tree.