SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:46:26 +0100
Hi
> Yes, you're definately right there, I use mostly ATrpms, Dag's repo and Dries.
> But I have heard that SUSE has about 60,000 packages they make available for
> the dist, so the requirement for 3rd party repo's is quite diminished.

Hmmm 60k ? (that must be inlcuding versions ;-))

> Not sure what the sl-contrib guys did from
> the XFS kernel versions compared to the stock RH kernel version which would
> have slowed it down by that much.

Nothing (I've built these kernels ;-)) - just enabled XFS module build.
That's to say: RH has put a lot of effort into improving ext3 in last
years ..

It looks to me that XFS is not that advantegous as it was at ext2 times ...

> But it seems this XFS 4k issue is a kernel issue instead of an actual
> distribution issue, so I can't entirely blame RH for their inaction. Although
> it would be nice for them to support it.

Well, initially they wanted it seems (even the installer,
anaconda, contains patches for XFS support) ... but looks
like they gave up on 4K stacks issue and left the task to SGI
(RH is one of 'driving forces' behind using 4K stacks ONLY)

Cheers

Jarek
__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _