SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:23:09 +0100
Hi

> To me, it's quite dissapointing that this problem even exists and from the
> multitude of results you get out of a google search, it's been around for ages
> and hasn't really been considered something to permanently fix. I remember
> reading on one of the google results that one guy from Red Hat commented that
> "not many people are affected by this so it's not worth worrying about".

Hmm .. Who is going to fix it ? RH has no interest in fixing XFS
filesystem module .. and SGI is aware of the problem since a while ...
but still not fixing it.

It could be that future kernels will all have ONLY 4K stacks ... so my
guess is .. until SGI fixes it .. the problem will be there:

http://lwn.net/Articles/84583/
http://lwn.net/Articles/160138/ (-> possible timeframe is 2.6.16)

jarek

PS: Speaking about SuSE .. I believe you'll find other
    things which may not be up to your taste (..as with
    any other distro ...) : I'm personally very much in
    favour of using RedHat/Fedora -> because of many
    third-party compatible software repositories ... among
    other things..

__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _
_ http://home.cern.ch/~jpolok ___ tel_+41_22_767_1834 _