SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:20:44 +0100
Hi

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hello again,
>

>>Hi,

Yep, that looks very much as a "side effect" of 4K stacks.

The next SL 4.X i686 kernel will have this option changed (it requires
disabling netdump patches).

I would suggest to use SL4 for x86_64 for your file servers (providing
you have hardware which can support it): 4K stacks are issue only on
32bit architecture.

> there's also a "dmapi" rpm in there which I haven't installed, I'm not sure if
> I need to or not?

Unless you have applications using DMAPI (Data Management API): no.
(AFAIK there are not many such apps available for now ..)

> I also noticed that there's a Dag Wieers package there:
>
> xfsprogs-2.6.13-3.rf.i386.rpm

As far as I can tell 2.6.13-3.el.rf is just rebuilt of 2.6.13-3.rf
without changes (looking at spec file)

> And the last thing I guess is, would it be feasible to try a CentOS 4
> contributed XFS kernel package? would it even work on SL4?

Yes it will work.
BTW: I looked little bit at CentOS XFS kernels hoping that they will
have a newer codebase of XFS there .. nope: it seems that they just do
the same as we (plus enabling 4K stacks) .. unless that changed recently ..

Cheers

Jarek

__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _