SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:55:50 -0600
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Robert Boehm wrote:

> HI folks...
>
> This might be a VERY stupid question, and one that maybe might
> be more directed a Troy....as I have been helping a friend get going
> with Scientific LInux Fermi since she works there....done with that
> project...I would like to use Scientific Linux...I'll grab a copy of 4.2
> from the ftp's.
>
> As I'm still "helping" my friend, I would like to know what I think that
> I know...and that would be this:  Is Scientific Linux Fermi EXACTLY
> Scientific Linux but just with the Fermi-specific stuff added, like the
> Kerberos policies and workgroups added (and also the yum repo's
> set for the updates for it rather than SL)?

The changes that are in Scientific Linux Fermi vs Scientific Linux are
noted in

ftp://linux.fnal.gov/linux/lts4x/i386/sites/Fermi/Fermi.releasenote.latest

> If I am working in Scientific Linux....is everything I do DIRECTLY
> transferable

Almost,  see above release notes.  And things such as "kde" is the default
"desktop" vs "gnome"(unless one selects otherwise), some of the other
"default rpms" are different, "development tools" for SLF are the default.

> to Scientific Linux Fermi (so that I can still "look into" her system as
> I do
> now with this install of Fermi?)  Since I'm a generic user and DON'T work
> at Fermi, I would rather run the more generic distro...so Troy, am I
> correct in my assumptions?
>
> Thanks a lot!  This is a super-stable distribution, folks..there is
> really something
> to be said for that....even if there is newer stuff out there...
>
> Bob

-Connie Sieh