SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:47:56 +0100
Troy Dawson wrote:
> First, I have gotten the SRPMS's into the contrib area.   That way you
> have some examples of the source rpm's.

Ah, great. I still find the documents on rpm specs confusing/incomplete,
so I need good examples.

> Second.  I do have a script that I use to rebuild the kernel module part
> of these rpm's.  It's at the end of this e-mail.  You will notice I'm
> passing several variables to the rpm, if you look through the spec file
> you'll see what they are, and why I'm passing them.
>
> Third. The kernel module rpm's follow our
> kernel-module-<package>-<uname -r>
> naming format.  It's a bit ugly but the yum in both S.L. 3.0.x and 4.x
> knows how to handle that format.
>
> Forth.  There is a good writeup on writting the source rpm's for these at
> http://rpm.livna.org/kernel-modules.html
> I'll be honest and say that livna is where I got some of my original
> spec files from.  (ati, nvidia)

Interesting...
OK, I've rewritten my spec file to match the naming conventions and the
build options as described in the rpm.livna.org web page you mentioned.
New kernel-module packages should now be buildable from my fuse source
rpm using your script.

> And last
> It looks like you have everything setup in your ftp area.  Did you want
> me to put those in the contrib area, or should I wait until you change
> the kernel module part?

I have tweaked the spec file one final time, and built and uploaded new
packages to my web directory http://www.phys.uu.nl/~rombouts/fuse/.
These should be ready for inclusion in your contrib repository.

I have noticed that Red Hat has released a 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL kernel. I
will build new kernel-module packages as soon as the new kernel-devel
package is available from the SL-errata repository.

Thanks for all the useful info,
--
Paul Rombouts