SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2006

From:
Harish Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harish Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:17:13 -0500
Kevin Byun wrote:
> Display configurating meaning X -configure, right?
No, the same application (in the system configuration menu) you used to
try to set the resolution in the first place (the one you said didn't
give you the resolution option you wanted).
> And restarting X meaning rebooting the computer?
Not really, but rebooting the computer will work.

Since X (the display) is decoupled from the kernel (unlike, for
instance, in Windows), you can kill and restart X like any other
application, but for now, it is easiest for you to just reboot. (Or I'd
have to get into keystroke combinations, and how to bail out cleanly if
X refuses to start-up again).

Harish