SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Bruce Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:21:12 +0100
Hi

If I understand it properly, you have several disks in several
machines, right ? I wonder if you shouldn't create a RAID'ed
filesystem per node and then integrate them into PVFS ?

Otherwise, if you have time on your hands, you might look at
clusterRAID, from uni-heidelberg
http://www.kip.uni-heidelberg.de/ti/ClusterRAID/

This is a highly stable, distributed, redundant file system using endb...
cheers
Bruce

On 14/12/05, Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [log in to unmask] wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> >   I am will install SL-4.2 in a cluster linux and I am in doubt about the
> > partitions and filesystems schema used by the comunit. We have 4x146GB disks,
> > the ideia is to have on with the /home (ext3 with quota) of the users ant the
> > other three make a huge scratch area. The question is, for this scratch which
> > is the best filesystem? Simply ext3 or is better to use reiserfs or openAFS?
> >
> >   Thanks
>
> If this is a scratch area, I would make it ext3.
> Why?
> I believe ext3 is the best 'all around' file system.  And if you have a
> scratch area, that is what you are going to get.  A wide variety of files.
>
> The other two that would be an option (though neither is 'officially'
> supported in scientific linux) would be reiser or xfs.
> OpenAFS, and GFS, both are not options.  They are both distributed file
> systems, and definatly not the right tool for the job.
>
> Troy
> --
> Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
> Fermilab  ComputingDivision/CSS  CSI Group

Bruce Becker
DAPNIA/SPhN/CEA Saclay
Fr-91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
tel :(w) +33 1 69087482 | (m) + 33 62 739 5720 | (f) +33 1 69087584
IM  : AIM/Jabber - brucellino | Yahoo - uctbruce
WEB :http://hep.phy.uct.ac.za/~becker "Viel hilft viel"