SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:55:50 -0600
I've just installed SL4.1 on a dual opteron 6.4TB disk array system. This is
my first disk array, so I'm full of questions.  The disk array is configured
as one large disk partition.  At 5.6TB, it's larger (according to what I've
read) than what ext3 can handle.  So, I'm thinking of putting either JFS or
XFS on the system.

SL4.1's stock kernel does not have built-in JFS nor XFS support.  But there
is a contributed XFS rpm.  Is this the preferred filesystem for large
partitions?  If so, why?

I don't know the history of XFS, but I first encountered JFS in the late 80s
when I worked on an AIX machine.  Also, I read on the web that JFS has
better performance than XFS.

Comments??

Ken