SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:54:25 -0600
Progress report:

No memory errors on the memtest86 checks...OK good.

Got the BIOS output from 915resolution tool....
Installed the DRIVER RPM from Intell....i810 (i915) driver installed,
but agpgart wouldn't
complaining that it couldn't compile and that maybe the kernel appgart
was "turned off"...
Is this possible?  So AGPGART did NOT install, and isn't loading at
start-up because
of another interesting output complaining that it "I/O error...can't
allocate proper region for
agpgart)...but I'm thinking that this might be related to the kernel status.

Anyway, I'm making progress...I manually edited the xorg.conf file to
find the proper driver
and linked up all of the sections properly.  I put in a modeline for the
monitor, however
commented it out on and off to see what the effect was....

X is now starting...the log says that it is finding everything
properly...the i810 driver is loaded.
IT also complains about the agp situation..

X starts, but I get a blank screen.  Hey, folks...this is progress!

Two questions for all of the wonderful helpers out there:

The agpgart module....why is that a problem and if it DOES NOT install,
will it completely
make the video useless?  If so, what do I do to get this thing to
install properly?

Second...I have tried to generate several modelines...but of course,
don't know if
these are going to be correct...I'm taking some conservative ones from
the vesa
files..that "should" work.  The server starts with the modeline and
reference active
or commented out.  Are modelines essential or can the system figure
enough out on
it's own.  I have one xorg.conf file here that someone sent that doesn't
have any
modelines or mode references, but it is a working file on one of his
servers.

The BIG QUESTION is this agpgart thing....and how essential it is to at
least get the
display to WORK.

Thanks again...we are making progress here!
--

Chicago Transit Authority Rider's Rule #36:
	Never ever ask the tough looking gentleman wearing El Rukn