SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Takashi Ichihara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:50:59 +0900
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:55:50PM -0600, Ken Teh wrote:
> > SL4.1's stock kernel does not have built-in JFS nor XFS support.  But there
> > is a contributed XFS rpm.  Is this the preferred filesystem for large
> > partitions?  If so, why?

   Hi

   We are using XFS file systems on several nodes of Scientific
Linux 4.0 and scientific Linux 4.2 at RIKEN CCJ .  We obaseved
frequent file system problems of ext3 file system in transferring
large raw data from BNL to RIKEN by Gridftp. The problem is that
CPU utilization becomes large (100%) during the file operation and
the system almost hanged up in the GridFTP. After changing the
file system from ext3 to XFS, the GridFTP becomes very  stable and we
have successfully transfered 270 TB date from BNL to RIKEN Japan
over the pacific ocean. (Typical transfer rate was 700-750 Mbits/s)
This is summarized in the recent CERN courier issue.
http://www.cerncourier.com/main/article/45/7/15

  The current redhat ES 4 kernel uses 4 KB stack and this is
incompatible with XFS, and probably with JFS and ReiserFS . Some
information for 4KB kernel stack problem can be found at the URL below.
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/linux-xfs/2005-07/msg00044.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2005-June/msg00304.html

  To use XFS system on SL 4.0 and SL 4.2 , we are using original Linux
kernel source obtained from http://www.kernel.org/ and configured to
enable the XFS system.  In the original 2.6 kernel, the stack size
is 8 KB, which is compatible with XFS, JFS and ReiserFS.

   Best Regards,

   Takashi Ichihara  ([log in to unmask])
   RI Physics lab/Radiation lab/Accelerator Facility
     RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research)
     2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan