SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:15:47 -0600
Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

> You may want to try newer kernel (from 4.2 -> 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL)
> .. there is some chance that the problem is ACPI related ..
> (you could also try acpi=off at boot time .. but this will
> completely disable power management .. including speedstep
> handling)

Thanks...I will grab the newer kernel and try that.  I think that you
are right, since
ALL of the other kernels from other distributions have had no trouble at
boot
time with the SpeedStep turned on.  My partner and I were looking forward to
the 4.2 version of Fermi when it comes out (soon) which will have the newer
kernel by proxy, but I'll try it in 4.1 first to make sure.

About ACPI...I have NOT tried that yet, but assumed that it would be a good
possibility that turning that off at boot-time would solve this problem,
but of course,
as you mention, it creates a bunch of other ones.

The DAG repository is full of nice stuff...the first time I turned it on
in Yum, I was
overwhelmed with how much has been put into that repository, especially
just about
any PERL module that anyone would need!

Thanks again, folks.
--