SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:43:07 -0600
Ken Teh wrote:
> I've just installed SL4.1 on a dual opteron 6.4TB disk array system. This is
> my first disk array, so I'm full of questions.  The disk array is configured
> as one large disk partition.  At 5.6TB, it's larger (according to what I've
> read) than what ext3 can handle.  So, I'm thinking of putting either JFS or
> XFS on the system.
>
> SL4.1's stock kernel does not have built-in JFS nor XFS support.  But there
> is a contributed XFS rpm.  Is this the preferred filesystem for large
> partitions?  If so, why?
>
> I don't know the history of XFS, but I first encountered JFS in the late 80s
> when I worked on an AIX machine.  Also, I read on the web that JFS has
> better performance than XFS.
>
> Comments??
>
> Ken

 From the Scientific Linux 4.2 release notes

      o The current ext3 file system limit in Scientific Linux 4.2
        is 8 terabytes. The e2fsprogs package has been updated to
        adhere to this file system limit.

So it looks like if you use S.L. 4.2 you should be ok with 4.2.
(OK, so we haven't *officially* released it ... there is one file
driving us nuts, but what's in 4.2 is really what's going to be released.)

But the question about the other stuff I think would be good to be
answered.  But I'm not really the expert.

This is what I've been told.

XFS - good for very large files
Reiser - good for lots of small files

Well ... that's not very much information, but all I have at the moment.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468