SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:07:48 -0600
Hi Folks!

We got the new ASI notebook yesterday to install SLF 4.1 and ran into
video problems
right away.  The graphical installer didn't work...which was fine.

X-Server will not start due to issues with what appear to be video modes.

I will follow up with much more information, including the appropriate
parts of the xorg.log
but for now here is the situation, hoping that some others have a NEW
Centrino notebook
with the i915GM Ghipsets.

SUSE's graphical installer worked, but I couldn't get X running either
after trying all kinds
of xorg.conf changes.  I also tried to build the i915 module but that
failed due to some
symlink properties missing after I did a cloneconfig on the kernel
sources.  That was to
"play" with things...

Now, to get back to ground Zero, I'm installing SL Fermi 4.1
again...doing yum updates
now and will look at the specific errors and ask for more help if I
can't figure this thing out.
My understanding is that ths i810 module should be the one that loads...

Here is the output, and on install it seemed to use the vesa generics:

EE VESA(0) No Matching Modes
EE Screens found but None have Usable Configuration

No Screens found....

OK...earlier I checked the modes...and the BIOS only reports ONE mode at
a time, unlike
a whole lot of other displays that I have seen.  This is new to me.
Also, the system BIOS
on these new Intel things allocates "initial" memory to the integrated
graphics of only 8MB.
I cannot seem to change this as for some others have seemed to fix the
problem with BIOS
changes...this is locked out on this BIOS.

Second, trying VideoRam in the "Device" Section and setting specific
values had no effect.

That's it for now, and I thank anybody for some insite or who has solved
this problem.
--

"I couldn't remember when I had been so disappointed.  Except perhaps
the time I found out that M&Ms really *do* melt in your hand ..."