SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:46:27 -0700
Gary Wilson wrote:
> I've upgraded an Opteron machine from SL 3.05 i386 to SL 4.2 x64 (a
> clean, new install). The reason I mention 3.05 is that there were no
> issues when running on 3.05. Now the mouse is freezing and when it
> freezes you can use the keyboard to logout, but that just goes to a
> blank screen, with Xwindows frozen as well and only a hard reboot can be
> done.
>
> I've googled for SL, Red Hat and FC, but haven't found anything
> relevant. Has anyone else seen this? Anyone have any suggestions,
> besides going back to 3.05?
>
> Gary Wilson

Hi Gary - Can you go to the terminal (say ctrl-alt-f1) and restart
the xserver or kill it?  Might save a reboot.  I have expereinced
freezes with X under various Linuxi - I usually can trace it to
problems with the NVIDIA drivers (must have my Quake!).  If you're
not running those... Maybe a bad mouse driver. ie. if you've switched
to usb or roller mice recently and not changed the xorg/XFree config.
-Karl

| Karl A. Misselt                             Office: Steward 254  |
| Steward Observatory                          Phone: 520-626-0196 |
| University of Arizona                          FAX: 520-621-9555 |
| Tucson, AZ 85721-0065                     [log in to unmask] |
|   "If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the  |
|    face, you should go home and examine your conscience."        |
|    -- Woodrow Wilson                                             |