SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:43:34 -0600
Gary Wilson said...

|I've upgraded an Opteron machine from SL 3.05 i386 to SL 4.2 x64 (a
|clean, new install). The reason I mention 3.05 is that there were no
|issues when running on 3.05. Now the mouse is freezing and when it
|freezes you can use the keyboard to logout, but that just goes to a
|blank screen, with Xwindows frozen as well and only a hard reboot can be
|done.

I know this is basic, but it's fixed several problems here.

When we upgraded from RH8 to SL3, we had this behavior on
several systems.  Apparently some people's mice had been
swapped but their systems were never reconfigured, yet
things continued to work.  This ooccured going from PS/2
to USB mice, and from PS/2 two and three button mice to
PS/2 wheel mice.

When we ran redhat-config-mouse (in SL4 it's something like
system-config-mouse) on the upgraded systems, retsarted gpm,
and updated the X config file to be correct, everything started
working.

FWIW,
Miles