SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:23:20 -0600
Thanks to Bob Blair who pointed out that you need to do a

	make modules_install

to set up the destination install dirs correctly.  Thereafter, 'make
install' works as advertised.

For Rob Henderson's and perhaps others' benefit, here's a blow-by-blow:

(1) Install the kernel source rpm.

(2) cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and do

	rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel-2.6.spec

where arch is your type of machine.  For valid values, look in the spec
file itself.  It's listed there.  This step preps the source; basically,
adding all the patches that are in the distro's kernel.

(3) cd to the kernel build tree.  It's in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD.

(4) You should be now in the linux-2.6.9 tree.  Look in the configs
subdirectory and copy the appropriate config file to .config.

(5) [This one is entirely optional]  Edit the Makefile and change the
EXTRAVERSION macro.  It's '-prep' from the rpmbuild prep stage.  I changed
mine to something appropriate that would indicate that it is the standard SL
kernel with a few added options.  In my case, turning on XFS and JFS
support.

(6) 'make menuconfig' to switch on the XFS and JFS support.

(7) make all; make modules_install; make install

That's it!!

About Rob's problem:  I noticed that you are trying to insmod something from
/lib.  Typically, the module .ko file is in /lib/modules/<xxxx> where xxxx
is the version of the kernel you rebuilt.   I'm not sure if this is what's
causing your problem.  But, it does look peculiar.

Ken