SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:20:26 -0600
Hi Stijn,

I hope you don't mind, but I'm popping this thread over to
scientific-linux-users.

There are two problems here, both easily fixed.  Ok, really only one,
but it's easily fixed.

First, you should use firefox and not firefox-bin, so that your
variables get setup right.  But I see that you just did it by hand,
which brings us to the real problem.

There is a i586 plugin in your x86_64 plugin directory.
This is the java plugin, which is i586.

To fix it, do
   rm -f /usr/lib64/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

My apologies.  There is always something that slips by us.  We'll get
that fixed.

As for your other question, yes, there is currently no x86_64 flash
plugins.  So you need the i386 version of firefox.

To get that do a

   yum remove firefox
   yum install firefox.i386

do NOT use apt, only yum when in x86_64.  That isn't a preference, it is
a known problem that apt does not handle mixed architectures.

Then to get the flash plugin do a

   yum --enablerepo=macromedia install flash-plugin

Hope this helps.

Troy

Stijn De Weirdt wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i just installed 4.2 for x86_64 on a new machine, and i have some problems:
>
> [stdweird@deweys firefox-1.0.7]$ pwd
> /usr/lib64/firefox-1.0.7
> [stdweird@deweys firefox-1.0.7]$ ./firefox-bin
> ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot
>
> now this file is in the /usr/lib64/firefox-1.0.7 directory
>
> [stdweird@deweys firefox-1.0.7]$ export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> [stdweird@deweys firefox-1.0.7]$ ./firefox-bin
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 [/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory]LoadPlugin: failed to initialize
> shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory]
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 [/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory]
> Segmentation fault
>
> since i'm new on x86_64, can someone point out what to add/change (i did
> some browsinf, and it resembles some i386/x86_64 problems. btw, in one
> of the threads i ran into, people said that for flash to work in x86_64
> and firefox, you need the i386 version in compat mode. is this true?)
>

> many thanks
>
> stijn
>
>  no attachments  have been sent

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468