SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Rob Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:35:44 +0000
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Ken Teh wrote:

> I need to rebuild the SL4.1 kernel to add support for JFS and XFS.  Are
> there clever ways to do this?  I'm familiar with the brute-force method.
>
> make menuconfig             % to add JFS and XFS
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> cp bzImage, System.map to /boot
> mkinitrd to make a new boot image; I need to add my RAID driver which is
>     not in the kernel tree.
> edit /boot/grub.conf to add the new kernel image
>
> I tried the kernel's 'make install' but that failed.  Apparently, the
> kernel-release was not set up correctly.  I'm guessing that this is set up
> in the spec file and since I was doing this manually, some things got left
> out.
>
> What I need is to build it with the given spec file, but I need the build to
> use my new config file.  Do I simply add a patch file for the .config and
> fiddle the spec file to include it?
>
> I can do all this, but I'm curious if there is a cleverer way.
>
> Ken

This is very similar to a question I raised on this list a week or so ago.
Connie Seih kindly replied pointing out that the linux kernel tree is no
longer a default part of the distribution and pointed me at the release
notes which tell you how to get the kernel tree and build it.

However I have very carefully followed this recipe for 4.1 (kernel
2.6.9-11) with obvious small correction. However whenever I build the new
kernel I get the following error messages

insmod error inserting '/lib/scsi_mod.ko' : -1 Operation not permitted
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally ! (pid 191)
insmod error inserting '/lib/sd_mod.ko' : -1 Operation not permitted
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally ! (pid 1912)

then load hangs

as mentioned in a previous email. I thank the replies that I received but
they did not help. I looked this error up on the web and to my surprise
found half a dozen similar cases. The only solution given on the web to
these is that mkinitrd needs to be rerun on a different /lib/modules
directory. I have tried mkinit with all the directories that have an
approriate .def fine and although all the initrd files so created worked
with the old kernel none works with the newly make kernel, giving the
above error.

I have however noticed that all the reports of this error are generated by
the fedora distribution and specifically kernel 2.6.9-11.

I have therefore being a week futher on and with no way of building a new
kernel to turn on the USB debug output in the kernel to investigate the
real problem Im having with my usb on my laptop (acer 8104), downloaded
version 4.2 in the desperate hope that this migh work where 4.1 didnt.

If anybody has sucessfully recompied the 4.1 kernel and got it to work
I would be very interested.

Rob Henderson
Lancaster HEP