SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:44:30 +1000
I've been using the XFS contirbuted kernel RPMs for 4.1 for almost a year (4.0
prior to the yum upgrade with the same XFS contributed kernels).

I like XFS because of its speed (ext3 for it's reliability), so if XFS will
solve your large filesystem problems, then go for it. But note that XFS is not
known for it's "you'll never lose data" feature, but known for its speed. If
you want very high reliability, stick with ext3, although it is a little
slower (unless you tune it and cut out the redundancy features to be
comparable to XFS speeds - but then why use ext3?).

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------