SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:32:00 +0100
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:16:34AM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Kevin Byun wrote:
> >This is like really basic question that you can possibly get from this
> >news group and here it is:
> >
> >1. In order to install the driver, I need to exit the X server and kill
> >all OpenGL application.  Does this mean that I have to exit the default
> >login screen too when the computer first boots?  And how do I go about it?
>

> Myself have installed the nvidia rpms from atrpms repository without
> exiting anything. Check the screenshot attached (yumex in SL 4.2).

But you still need to restart X to allow the installed nvidia driver
to take over. You would even need to rmmod nvidia and modprobe it
again otherwise you'd be running the old nvidia kernel module with the
new nvidia X11 driver.

So the full steps are:

o install the driver (e.g. via ATrpms' rpms or manually via the
  installer, whatever suits you best)
o exit X (go runlevel 3)
o rmmod nvidia
o modprobe nvidia
o restart X (telinit 5)

It's easier to ask for a reboot, though, and it is not guaranteed that
rmmod'ing an old nvidia kernel module will really restore the chip to
what the next modprobe expects. nvidia recommends to power-cycle your
system when upgrading the kernel module, but it usually works w/o.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net