SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:52:28 -0600

> Howdy Ho,
> Just putting my 2 cents in.
> Here at Fermilab we have a Sempron 64 chip (Sempron 2600+).
>
> How did we get it?  We went to the store and bought it.  It was the same
> price as the Sempron.
>
> How could we tell it was a Sempron 64 and not a Sempron?  Only by the
> little 64 next to the Sempron on the box.  If you looked at the chip
> itself, there was nothing different between it and the regular sempron.
>  Connie actually bought one that DIDN'T have the 64 on the box, but the
> sales person assured her it was, and sure enough it did 64 bit stuff.
>
> What was the ultimate test to determine it was 64 bit?  We tried to
> install S.L. 4.1 x86_64.  It would NOT install on a 32 bit Sempron, it
> would install on a Sempron 64.
>
> Why doesn't AMD admit that they have a Sempron 64?  We have no idea.
> But I did notice in that article, that although the guy says "The
> Semprons *don¡¦t also support the 64-bit extensions*, but do support the
> NX bit."  He didn't say where he got this information.  If it was a test
> he did, or from AMD's marketing.
> If he did say where he got the information, point it out to me.
>
> I personally think that AMD is not advertising the Sempron as a 64 bit
> processor until they need to.  Why?  Because it would make the market
> for the Athlon 64 drop.  But I think whenever sales start to finolly
> lag, then they'll be able to turn around and say "Look, we have an
> extremely low cost 64 bit processor."
>
> Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.  The end results.  If it
> truely isn't doing 64 bit stuff ... it's doing a good imitation.
>
> Troy

WOW...Troy, thanks for that...I agree...why advertise the lower cost
chip when the higher priced ones are selling like hotcakes...
It IS very confusing to the consumer though...but now
that we know (since it installed for Kou...and as I always though)
that the 64 bit version won't install on a 32 bit processor...it
might be in the networking as you mentioned before..which actually
makes more sense since the rest of the system seems to be running
fine.

Bob
--

Boren's Laws: