SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:42:21 -0600
Robert Boehm wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>>May you provide a link? As far as I can tell, it is not mentioned in their 64-bit page:
>>>
>>>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331,00.html
>>>

>>>In case you have 32-bit CPU, you should install the 32-bit version of SL.
>>

>>There is a review of the CPU here:
>>http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600.html
>>

>>Some excerpts:
>>
>>Page 1: "without changing the platform, this CPU can be anytime replaced with a
>>high-performance Athlon 64 processor with a rating up to 3700+. Upgradeability is a
>>definite plus of any platform."
>>
>>Page 2: "The main distinguishing trait of the new Semprons for Socket 754 is that they are
>>all based on the new core, called Palermo. The Palermo is a derivative from the Winchester
>>core, with a reduced L2 cache and *disabled AMD64 technology*."
>>
>>"The Semprons *don¡¦t also support the 64-bit extensions*, but do support the NX bit."
>>

> We just crossed....I'll look at that page.  OK, that makes sense...but
> it still doesn't explain the "operating modes" on the page that I just
> sent to you!!!
>
> Well..I personally think it would be safer for Kou to install the
> 32 bit version for now and see if all works normally...and take
> this up with his supplier that sold him the unit to find out
> exactly what is up...
>
> Bob

Howdy Ho,
Just putting my 2 cents in.
Here at Fermilab we have a Sempron 64 chip (Sempron 2600+).

How did we get it?  We went to the store and bought it.  It was the same
price as the Sempron.

How could we tell it was a Sempron 64 and not a Sempron?  Only by the
little 64 next to the Sempron on the box.  If you looked at the chip
itself, there was nothing different between it and the regular sempron.
 Connie actually bought one that DIDN'T have the 64 on the box, but the
sales person assured her it was, and sure enough it did 64 bit stuff.

What was the ultimate test to determine it was 64 bit?  We tried to
install S.L. 4.1 x86_64.  It would NOT install on a 32 bit Sempron, it
would install on a Sempron 64.

Why doesn't AMD admit that they have a Sempron 64?  We have no idea.
But I did notice in that article, that although the guy says "The
Semprons *don¡¦t also support the 64-bit extensions*, but do support the
NX bit."  He didn't say where he got this information.  If it was a test
he did, or from AMD's marketing.
If he did say where he got the information, point it out to me.

I personally think that AMD is not advertising the Sempron as a 64 bit
processor until they need to.  Why?  Because it would make the market
for the Athlon 64 drop.  But I think whenever sales start to finolly
lag, then they'll be able to turn around and say "Look, we have an
extremely low cost 64 bit processor."

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.  The end results.  If it
truely isn't doing 64 bit stuff ... it's doing a good imitation.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468