SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:21:00 -0600
Kuo Kan Liang wrote:
> Dear SL users,
>
> Recently I bought a computer with AMD Sempron 2600+ CPU on ASUS K8V-MX
> motherboard.
> I installed SL 4.1 x86_64 on it without doing any yum afterwards.
>
> The problem I encounter now is that I installed tkcvs 7.2.4, but when I
> run tkcvs, the GUI shows up
> VERY slowly, much slower than when I ran it on other machines (Xeon
> machine, also with SL 4.1 x86_64).
> It takes more than 1 min for the window to show up completely.
> Another major difference in the environment is that this machine is at
> home, connecting to the CVS
> repository with a slow ADSL (1M/256K, I think).
> What would be the reason that tkcvs is so slow?

My opinion, and it's just a guess, is the network connection.
Quite often, programs do alot of stuff before they bring up the actual
GUI.  It's possible it's doing some cvs checking before it comes up, and
if the network is slow it might be taking a while before it even comes up.

As I said, I might be wrong.  I would contact the tkcvs people and ask
them what the best way to debug the slowness would be.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468