SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:25:23 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>May you provide a link? As far as I can tell, it is not mentioned in their 64-bit page:
>>
>>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331,00.html
>>

>>In case you have 32-bit CPU, you should install the 32-bit version of SL.
>

> There is a review of the CPU here:
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600.html
>

> Some excerpts:
>
> Page 1: "without changing the platform, this CPU can be anytime replaced with a
> high-performance Athlon 64 processor with a rating up to 3700+. Upgradeability is a
> definite plus of any platform."
>
> Page 2: "The main distinguishing trait of the new Semprons for Socket 754 is that they are
> all based on the new core, called Palermo. The Palermo is a derivative from the Winchester
> core, with a reduced L2 cache and *disabled AMD64 technology*."
>
> "The Semprons *don¡¦t also support the 64-bit extensions*, but do support the NX bit."

We just crossed....I'll look at that page.  OK, that makes sense...but
it still doesn't explain the "operating modes" on the page that I just
sent to you!!!

Well..I personally think it would be safer for Kou to install the
32 bit version for now and see if all works normally...and take
this up with his supplier that sold him the unit to find out
exactly what is up...

Bob

--

Boren's Laws: