SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:23:34 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Kuo Kan Liang wrote:
>
>>Dear Bob,
>>
>>The question is not stupid. However, I have searched the webpage before
>>I install SL
>>and found that AMD Sempron 2600+ is a 64bit CPU....
>

> May you provide a link? As far as I can tell, it is not mentioned in their 64-bit page:
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331,00.html
>

> In case you have 32-bit CPU, you should install the 32-bit version of SL.

Yes...here is one...and it's hidden and they don't seem to tout it
very outloud...but I scanned the processor product guide and found
most of the Semprons at 32 bit mode...however, look at this one!

> http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=SDA2600AIO2BO

I don't know exactly how you know which one you definitely have because
on this page "Processor Quick Reference Guide" on the right of the
product information page, there are about 8 Semptron 2600+
models!!!!  It's all very confusing...but the operating mode of this
particular one (Does Kou have one of these?) seems like it runs in
32 and 64 bit modes!!!!

But...I agree...unless he KNOWS for sure, he might want to try the
32 bit version and see what it does compaired to the 64 bit version.

Bob

--

Boren's Laws:
	(1) When in charge, ponder.