SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:09:36 +0200
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> May you provide a link? As far as I can tell, it is not mentioned in their 64-bit page:
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331,00.html
>

> In case you have 32-bit CPU, you should install the 32-bit version of SL.

There is a review of the CPU here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600.html

Some excerpts:

Page 1: "without changing the platform, this CPU can be anytime replaced with a
high-performance Athlon 64 processor with a rating up to 3700+. Upgradeability is a
definite plus of any platform."

Page 2: "The main distinguishing trait of the new Semprons for Socket 754 is that they are
all based on the new core, called Palermo. The Palermo is a derivative from the Winchester
core, with a reduced L2 cache and *disabled AMD64 technology*."

"The Semprons *don¡¦t also support the 64-bit extensions*, but do support the NX bit."