SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:47:14 -0600
Kuo Kan Liang wrote:
> Dear SL users,
>
> Recently I bought a computer with AMD Sempron 2600+ CPU on ASUS K8V-MX
> motherboard.
> I installed SL 4.1 x86_64 on it without doing any yum afterwards.
>
> The problem I encounter now is that I installed tkcvs 7.2.4, but when I
> run tkcvs, the GUI shows up
> VERY slowly, much slower than when I ran it on other machines (Xeon
> machine, also with SL 4.1 x86_64).
> It takes more than 1 min for the window to show up completely.
> Another major difference in the environment is that this machine is at
> home, connecting to the CVS
> repository with a slow ADSL (1M/256K, I think).
> What would be the reason that tkcvs is so slow?
>
> Thanks for the input in advance.
>
> Kuo Kan LIANG
> Division of Mechanics,
> Research Center for Applied Sciences,
> Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan

Please forgive me if I am stupid or missing something,
but why did you install the 64-bit version with a
32 bit processor?  Could that be a problem?  I might
be ignorant...actually, I didn't even know that you could
successfuly do that and it might be completely
irrelevant to the situation, so it's just a question...

Thanks..

Bob Boehm

--

Boren's Laws: