SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:34:18 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> jim cadien wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Since the SL installer only permits the installation of grub as boot
>> loader, how to I replace it with lilo?  I tried the simple thing,
>> taking a previous lilo.conf, modifying it slightly to match the sl
>> /boot contents, and ran lilo.  Well the mbr was trashed.  I could not
>> boot into linux at all.  Had to reinstall sl.  This was about 3-4
>> months ago.
>> I would like to use lilo.  How do I do this? A pointer to info would
>> be fine.  But it has to treat this problem I mentioned.
>

> A simple search on Google turned out this:
> http://www.netadmintools.com/art402.html

That's nice if you want to recompile lilo from scratch, but a much
easier way would be

   yum install lilo
   cp /etc/lilo.conf.anaconda /etc/lilo.conf
   /sbin/lilo

You said that it trashed your MBR, what sort of error's did you get?
And did you get them when you ran /sbin/lilo, or during the bootup?

> Why do you want to use lilo instead of grub?

There are several reason's why I like it, I'm sure others have others.
1) A readable man page
2) Error codes when it fails during a reboot
3) The blessed -R command that despite all their claims, isn't in grub
4) Each time you edit the config file you have to rerun lilo.  Now this
is both good and bad.  The good thing is that you know right then that
you did the config file correctly, and NOT when you are stuck at the
boot prompt.  The bad thing is ... that you often forget to rerun lilo.

OK, that being said.  I run grub, and have been for the past couple of
years.  And actually do so by choice.  Grub has plenty of things going
for it, but since that wasn't your question, I'm not listing them.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468