SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Boehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:16:37 -0600
> I am using SL 4.2.
>
> I was using Java 5.0 and decided to switch to the SL default. However with 5.0, there was a Java option in the GNOME menu with options regarding its cache, etc. I can't find anything like that with the SL 4.2's one. Isn't there such an option with it?

You can open a terminal and type "ControlPanel" and you should get the Java
control panel where you get the settings.  Caution:  In Java 5.0, the
control panel is
completely different...and the cache default is "no limit"...

On Java 1.4.2, the setting by default is 50MB...

You might consider deleting your .java directory in your /home/<your
name> directory
to start fresh and make sure that everything is clean.

If ControlPanel is dead, you might still have the Java 5.0 Control Panel
somewhere in
your $PATH, but I doubt it..it might be that there is no link in your
$PATH....in that case,
just find the java installation and use an absolute path...you'll find
the "ControPanel"
script in the /bin directory of Java...

Bob Boehm

--

Chicken Soup, n.:
	An ancient miracle drug containing equal parts of aureomycin,