SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:06:42 +0200
Connie Sieh wrote:
> The following ERRATA for SL 40,41,42 i386 are now available from:
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/40,41,42/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/
 >
> Synopsis:       Moderate Java plugin security update
> Sun Alert ID:   102003
> Product:        j2sdk
> 		may allow an untrusted applet to elevate its privileges
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/ReleaseNotes.html
>
> Notes: Many users will have a dead link in places like
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> This is a known result of the upgrade.  This is because the plugin is now
> put in the directory  /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
> Putting the plugin in that directory works for all Scientific Linux
> versions of mozilla and firefox.
>
> Note that j2sdk-1.4.2_10-fcs.i586.rpm has NOT been signed by us.  The
> license and the rpm itself do not all for it.
>
>   j2sdk-1.4.2_10-fcs.i586.rpm
>   java-1.4.2-sun-compat-1.4.2.10-1jpp.i586.rpm

I am using SL 4.2.

I was using Java 5.0 and decided to switch to the SL default. However with 5.0, there was
a Java option in the GNOME menu with options regarding its cache, etc. I can't find
anything like that with the SL 4.2's one. Isn't there such an option with it?

Something else. After performing the updates, fonts appear different for plain text
messages under Thunderbird (larger and I think in a different style). Has anyone noticed
something like that?

I am sending attached a small screenshot of how they look.